What is the difference between CKC and AKC?

google plus fb twitter Follow Me on Pinterest

Dog Forum Dogs

Thursday, June 28, 2007 at8:39:48 PM
cbidthis
Can a CKC dog become an AKC or vice-versa? If they breed together what happens to the puppies? Can they become either?
Friday, June 29, 2007 at6:58:36 PM
rainbeaur6
RE What is the difference between CKC and AKC?
What CKC? There is the Canadian kennel club that is basically the same as the American kennel club and there is also the Contenintal kennel club which is baically a pet registry.....
Sunday, July 01, 2007 at4:10:34 PM
cbidthis
The female is Continental Kennel Club and the male is AKC.
Sunday, July 01, 2007 at6:57:47 PM
rainbeaur6
The pups could not be registered into the AKC... You could register them as CKC.
Thursday, July 05, 2007 at10:59:09 AM
cool dogs
The CKC is where you send in three picturers of a dog you think is purebred but has no other registration and if they think it looks like that breed of dog then they give you a certificate. It is just like the APRI and ACA it means nothing.
Saturday, July 07, 2007 at8:39:54 PM
dogcrazy
APRI is NOTHING like CKC. APRI ONLY accepts dogs with known 3 generation pedigreesie AKC background dgs They do NOT register based on pics. They have dog shows health seminars and a variety of other things going on You are confusing it with apr which is a simple pet registry like ACA
Saturday, July 07, 2007 at9:46:47 PM
cool dogs
Let’s follow a certain dog stolen or rescued through this scenario which is made a very simple process by the pet registries. CKC Continental Kennel Club will accept and register this dog into their pet registry with the submission of three photos of the dog showing 3 views. The dog must look like the breed being applied for along with two signatures all signatures are accepted without investigation on the application from “witnesses” pledging that the dog is of true breed. Now with this dog registered in the CKC Continental Kennel Club the breeder can submit a copy of this CKC Continental Kennel Club registration to the APRI America’s Pet Registry Inc. and there too register the same dog by the fact that it was already accepted by the CKC Continental Kennel Club. This process is called dual registry. This very dog can go on to get such a “title” as a “champion” with the APRI or ACR. Amazing isn’t it? A “champion” show dog whose origin is unknown. No need to know since they are “breeder friendly”. How utterly outrageous
Saturday, July 07, 2007 at9:50:34 PM
cool dogs
Im sorry forgot to post where I got this information. Get on this site and get the full story www.dachshundranch.com/AKC_vs_pet_registries.htm
Saturday, July 07, 2007 at10:09:15 PM
dogcrazy
sorry the story is a bit misconstrued and been passed around enough to sound believeable here are the requirements per their website America’s Pet Registry Inc. recognizes and registers all purebred dogs and cats accepted by all reputable cattery clubs kennel clubs rare breed clubs and other registration services. APRI does not register cross breeds animals without prior registration as purebreds or mongrels. Animals currently carrying registration certification include but are not limited to the following breeds In the case of a CKC dog who has unknown parentage APRI registers those under APR the pet registry They do of course have the hybrid registry available as well In other words they have no need to not separate the dogs into the appropriate category Any person registering an animal can lie no matter what registry they use. The only way this can be corrected is if the registry requires 100 dna testing and compliances on ALL animals it registers not just a select few
Sunday, January 13, 2008 at9:16:09 AM
Shadomoon
Here is an example of how well CKC is. I registered my mutt as a Plott Hound. End of story.
Sunday, April 20, 2008 at2:04:18 PM
SallyDuke88
It is terribly sad to see people talk about AKC as if it is ANY better than other registries. Quote taken from http//www.dogstuff.info/fci_versus_akc_ckc.html No breeder would ever sell what he/she carefully and painfully and lovingly nurtured to a thoughtless or unappreciative person. So why is everybody harping on individual breeders telling them that they are the ones responsible for the breed while ignoring and completely missing the REAL puppy-mill pet-store merchandise problem created by the carelessness and/or incompetence and/or greed of the AKC and CKC along with a majority of veterinarians dog trainers and a few but well established very large puppy mill type breeders? Small individual breeders like me couldnt possibly influence the workings of THAT system in any way. It is just as easy to get fake AKC papers. I think they are a TERRIBLE organization and are the largest contributors to puppy mills. Continental Kennel Club pedigrees I believe have more accurate bloodline information because people arent forced to lie about their dogs wheras AKC breeders ARE forced to lie since AKC doesnt allow outsiders into their registry. Papers DO NOT increase the value of a dog but breeders like to make you think they do because they want more money$$$
Sunday, April 20, 2008 at2:04:56 PM
SallyDuke88
By the way a plott hound IS a mix...where do you think that breed came from?
Sunday, April 20, 2008 at2:56:25 PM
Shadomoon
A Plott hound is not a mix. Wow. Plott hounds are an extremely old breed that was developed long ago. Here is some BASIC information http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plott_Hound Also if you are referring to Hybrid Vigor give me a break. That has been proven to not be true countless times didnt you get the memo? One of the many many links www.parispoodles.com/hybridvigor.html My mutt is a Coonhound Dobie and German Shepherd mix. How does that make him a Plott Hound?
Sunday, April 20, 2008 at3:20:31 PM
SallyDuke88
I said plott hounds are a mix I didnt say mutt. You are taking words out of context. Plott hounds are a mixture of other hounds...their standard is a bit vague which is why I think CKC could make a mistake. IF you think thats bad take a look at all the fake AKC papers out there AKC doesnt even check the standard of the litters being registered they just use the honor system. NO registry including AKC raises the value of a dog but breeders like to make you think they do because they want more money$$
Sunday, April 20, 2008 at3:34:08 PM
Shadomoon
The Plott Hound is not a mixture of other hounds. Where are you getting this from? And their standard isnt vague. It is actually very well written http//rarebreed.com/breeds/plott/plott_ukc_std.html That is the UKC standard. Also no a registry does not make a dog more valueable a breeder does. However an AKC Champion sired litter is more valueable than a ConKC registered litter. Hell a ConKC registered litter with health testing and parents that doing NADAC agility is more valueable than just a ConKC litter. Value is placed on what the breeder does and if the dogs are ACTUALLY healthy.
Sunday, April 20, 2008 at3:35:07 PM
Shadomoon
Oh to add here is the AKC standard for Plott Hounds http//www.akc.org/breeds/plott/index.cfm
Sunday, April 20, 2008 at4:05:23 PM
SierraKennels
I couldnt have said it better myself ShadoMoon.
Monday, April 21, 2008 at9:28:52 AM
Rose LaBarge
I do agree there are al ot of dogs registered by the AKC that are of very poor quality especially those coming from puppy mills where no genetic testing is done and a large number of puppies are produced. There are also a lot of people who think just because their dog is registered with the AKC it should be bred and again none of the reccommended testing is done. The quality of the dogs is really dependent on the ethics of the breeder. Any one buying a puppy should do every thing they can to make sure they are buying from a breeder who makes a commitment to all the puppies they produce and backs it up with a written contract stating what testing was done to the parents and that the breeder will take the dog back at any time in its life if there is a problem. That is a GOOD breeder.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at1:36:00 AM
montgo13
I have a wonderful Coffee table Registered with CKC as a Great Dane. Sent in 3 pictures of the table had a friend sign the paper work saying it looked pure bred Listed it parents as Sir Woody and Lady Glass. We are waiting for it to bred to the Sofa that also has CKC papers. I need new end tables. They will be APRI registered. Since they their dam and sire were accepted as a pure bred with dual registery.
Thursday, June 18, 2009 at4:25:57 PM
melissasharp
I realize this discussion began long ago, however, I could not resist adding my comments. First of all do not be confused with CKC the continental kennel club or CKC the Canadian Kennel Club. The Canadian Kennel Club is the reputable one. A puppy of a Canadian registered dog can be AKC registered. Continental Kennel Club will register a dog based on pictures and signatures. AKC only registers based on bloodlines. A dog can only be registered AKC if parents were AKC as well. I agree papers dont cost much. They do not make a dog worth more. However, they are an indication of quality. That is what makes the price higher. Although an AKC registration alone does not indicate quality. The bulk of that responsibility lies with the breeder. Unfortunately, there are many unethical breeders just putting dogs together to have puppies to sell, that are not concerned about standards and improving the breed. Nor do all breeders take good care of their dogs.
Friday, June 17, 2011 at2:27:17 PM
lastchip2
The Plott Hound is the only American hound without British ancestry. In 1750 Jonathan Plott and his brother left Germany bound for America. They took with them five Hanoverian Hounds. Jonathan Plotts brother died during the trip but Jonathan settled in North Carolina. It was there that he raised a family and bred his dogs. A mix of bloodhounds and curs reportedly comprised the original stock. For the next 200 years the dogs were bred by generations of Plott family members and were referred to as the Plotts hounds. The dogs worked at hunting bear and raccoon in the Appalachian, Blue Ridge, and Great Smoky Mountains of the Eastern United States. The Plott family rarely put the dogs on the market so they remained rare outside the southern United States. The dogs were recognized for the first time in 1946 by the United Kennel Club. Plotts are hardy and have superior hunting instincts. They are very effective in the search for coyotes, wolves, and wildcats. The breed was carefully developed to be stronger and more persistent. They were able to make good family companions but were seldom kept as one, as most owners acquired the dogs for the hunt. In 2006 the breed was officially recognized by the AKC as the Plott and is now shown as a show dog, but there are many who still hunt and breed them as hunting dogs.

About Us   |   Terms / Agreement   |   Privacy Policy   |   Contact Us   |   F.A.Q.'s
© 2006-2014 K9Stud.com All Rights Reserved
Toll Free: 866-462-9179