New puppy...agoraphobia?

google plus fb twitter Follow Me on Pinterest

Dog Forum Pups

New puppy...agoraphobia?

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 at11:42:59 AM
bkeller
New puppy...agoraphobia?
I just bought a new puppy. She is 15 weeks old and scared of absolutely EVERYTHING. She is a Coton De Tulear. She runs away from every little noise and is constantly slinking from corner to corner and underneath couches. Does anybody know what I can do to help her out? Do you know what could have caused this? Any help would be appreciated. I have had her for 4 days now and there hasnt been a whole lot of change.
Tuesday, January 02, 2007 at2:10:09 PM
icemanK9
RE New puppy...agoraphobia?
has she eaten anything since you had her? Did you try and contact the breeder and ask them if this type of phobia exists in her father and mother?
Tuesday, January 02, 2007 at2:14:06 PM
bkeller
Yes she has ate very little. Actually this morning she ate a little food and then I put her in her kennel for 1/2 hour and she threw it up. I am working on contacting the breeder right now. THANKS
Friday, January 05, 2007 at5:27:29 AM
fsalman
has the breeder mentioned anything? sometimes when we send puppies to new homes they dont eat the first night but by the next morning they are fine.
Monday, January 15, 2007 at3:54:39 AM
Latifa
I was wondering how you were making out with your Coton? We are very interested in purchasing one but had a similar situation with a different breed and we are not sure we want to get into that again.
Sunday, January 28, 2007 at12:52:40 AM
Starlett
It sounds like your puppy is scared or was mistreated. Have you tried feeding her from your hand? Try talking in a soft soothing voice like you would a baby. Hold her close and rock her and talk to her. How often is she in her crate? Does she have a blanket and toys in there with her? A small stuffed animal w/out the eyes and loose threads of course may help. How big is she? Can you carry her and walk around the house with her and talk to her all the time. Dogs and puppies dont care what you say just along as you use a soft calming voice. You could even sing. Phrase her for any good behavior even eating then try and keep her calm so the food has awhile to digest. Are you giving her the same food as the breeder? No table scraps she is too young. She could be real nervous after all you are a complete stranger to her. Make sure she gets to go out side at least every half hour until she gets the idea to let you know when she needs to go outside and praise her for the good job She could of been kept in a crate the whole time and just doesnt know what to do. I have heard of breeders that keep all the dogs and puppies in crates. Let me know how she is doing.
Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at2:45:31 PM
Josella Springers
New puppies are often very nervous and scared in new homes. Take things very slow with her. Dont expose her to too much until she is very comfortable with you and your family. Once she is comfortable start slowly exposing her to new things. I am a veterinary technician and we often reccommend that people bring their new puppies in for a play visit no shots just lots of attention. Please dont get frusturated with her just take things slowly. Once she is fully vaccinated you may also consider enrolling her in a puppy obedience class. This is a great way to socialize her as well as teaching manners. If her fears do not get better you may want to contact a behaviorist. Good Luck and keep posting updates.
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 at7:23:07 PM
lcm
Puppies are fine as long as the noises they hear are the ones they always hear anything different and they are going to be alert to it and most do run. They are puppies the more they are exposed to different situations and the older they get the better things become. Just because they run does not mean something is wrong with them we jump when we are startled just a fact of life and puppies will be scared for a few days until they get used to the surroundings. Lots of lovepatience and attention should be a permanent fix.Good luck and happy puppyhood.
Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at8:24:52 PM
Willie Corona
Someone posted that maybe the puppy was mistreated. Have you seen the way litters treat their mates Holy smokes, the puppies know right away which of them is the alpha dog. In the case of my last litter it was one of the two females we got She was rough with the rest of her brothers and sister. You have to be careful not to assume that the puppy was mistreated by a person. It can also be mistreated by one or more of its siblings. I hope your puppy is doing a lot better now. Good luck.

New puppy...agoraphobia?

About Us   |   Terms / Agreement   |   Privacy Policy   |   Contact Us   |   F.A.Q.'s
© 2006-2014 K9Stud.com All Rights Reserved
Toll Free: 866-462-9179