How to put pounds on my great dane

google plus fb twitter Follow Me on Pinterest

Dog Forum Dogs

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at10:16:02 AM
dustym361
Hi I have a beautiful Great Dane female that for the life of me cant put on weight. I have had her to the vet countless times and she is clear of worms or any other problems. My vet says she is just a slender dog and very healthy. There has to be a way for her to put on some pounds. Please help Thank you.
Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at10:26:29 AM
dustym361
RE How to put pounds on my great dane
P.S. I feed Purina dog chow and my other dogs look great.
Sunday, April 20, 2008 at2:33:52 PM
SallyDuke88
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I also have an unspayed female great dane that wont keep weight on she is 18 months old. This is a completely normal occurance for this breed... it is considered a teenager phase because their metabolism is high and their appetite is sort of average. I also was careful to make sure she was ok and it wasnt being caused by other problems but my vet took lots of tests and cleared her of everything. My female is also a little picky when it comes to dry food. My vet recommended Hard-boiled eggs because they are a great way to give them extra calories...and I feed her pedigree lamb and rice wet food even though it isnt as healthy as Id like because it increases her appetite and has good calories... Also feeding her a serving of cooked lean meat every day gives her some extra calories as well. Oh and for dry I feed diamond lamb and rice which has no corn wheat or by-products. Message me if you have any luck with putting weight on her because even though what Im doing appears to be helping it still isnt working as well as it should but my vet reassured my efforts because this really is normal for the breed.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at1:45:41 AM
montgo13
Have been breeding Danes for over 30 years. This problem will worry you sick. The more active your dog is the more weight she will run off. they grow in height for 3 years and look like they are starving most of the time. Then they start to widen and start looking better. Reduce her exercise a bit and see if she retain more weight. We also Feed Retriver blue Bag from Tractor Supply company. It is 27 Protein and 15 fat. and does not cost an arm and a leg. We have 24 Danes on it at this time and they love the taste. We have less mess to clean up because their body maintain more and it is not just corn running thru them. Good Luck and remember Life is Great with a Dane
Sunday, August 31, 2008 at11:43:11 PM
wesbarkennels
If you still cant put weight on her try what we did for our rescue pit bulls and mix bacon grease and maple syrup. seriously its what our vet told us to do. anything else high fat or protein will usually work too.
Monday, September 01, 2008 at5:12:01 PM
montgo13
To much protein and fat fed to a great dane will bring it to a early grave. This breed of dogs have to be fed special. They can not eat puppy food because of the protein is to high. Bacon grease is pure death for a Great Dane. It may fatten them quick but it destroys the heart faster. What is good for 1 breed may not be for another.
Monday, September 01, 2008 at9:20:20 PM
wesbarkennels
thats what my vet told me and thats why they only got a tiny amount every few days. sorry i forgot to mention that part
Friday, October 24, 2008 at8:47:31 AM
Daaanes
Never feed a Dane under 2 years old high protien or fat. You will cause growth/bone/joint problems-this can cause deformity and sometimes so severe you will have to put the dog down As long as you have run blood work and have had the vet check for internal parasites your dog is most likely fine and is just a thin Dane. You also dont want to put a lot of weight on a Dane EVER. You should always see the last rib. Leaner is better than overweight.
Friday, September 11, 2009 at11:26:08 PM
thambright
Hello, I have been raising danes for a while. Try a recipe called Satin Balls. I have tried and it works It is also easy to make. E-mail for recipe. thambright37@att.net

About Us   |   Terms / Agreement   |   Privacy Policy   |   Contact Us   |   F.A.Q.'s
© 2006-2014 K9Stud.com All Rights Reserved
Toll Free: 866-462-9179